Geologically Cyprus is based on several tectonic plates which make it seismically active zone which is prone to earthquakes and other natural disasters. Tectonic movement in this area never stops for a minute and the pressure under the crust of eath is released in form of earthquakes, Monitoring seismic services keep an eye on every minor vibration throughout the Alpine-Himalayan seismic belt on daily basis.
Although, most of the earthquakes are not very high intensity and it is one of the quietest regions in the Alpine-Himalayan belt.
The coastline of Cyprus, stretching from Paphos to Famagusta are more prone to minor earthquakes which has no major effects on the buildings and population. Throughout history, Cyprus has been suffered many earthquakes with different intensity.
There are many pieces of evidence specifying devastating earthquakes in the Paphos, Limassol, Larnaca, Famagusta, these cities were repeatedly devasted with the strong tectonic activities.
One of the major cause of the destruction in ancient time was a poor strength of the building structures which usually collapsed quite easily, but the new age of architects has designed the new Cyprus in such a way that it can sustain medium strength earthquakes.
Is there a reason to worry?
Cyprus has experienced earthquakes in the early centuries because of unavailability of technology and poor structural strength but today’s buildings are built to withstand natural calamities and there is nothing to worry about.
Some tips to survive earthquakes
- Have a plan, it’s always essential to stay ready for any natural disaster. Locate a safe place in every room where you can hide.
- Consult some professional to keep yourself educated about the do’s and dont’s.
- Keep the supply of canned food, water, a battery radio operator, flashlight, whistle, and dust mask.
- If you are outdoors, find a clear spot away from building, high-tension electric line and trees.
- If you are in a car, slow down and head to a clear place. Stay in the car until the shaking stops.
Earthquakes are unpredictable and they can strike anytime with a strong force, if you are visiting a place which has a history of earthquakes then it’s better to keep yourself ready for any adverse instances.